Followers

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

It's Getting Hot, Hot, Hot!

     So, the temps are rising, so is the humidity!  Monday it hit 35 (90ish) in central Brisbane and supposed to be about 36 today.  I know for those in Idaho and Washington, it doesn't sound like much, but the humidity really does change the equation.  Thank goodness the AC was fixed before Christmas!  I've just been running the dehumidifier on it (waiting for the backside neighbor to file another noise complaint too!) from 7am until bedtime.  The temps do drop pretty well for the night, most of the time, and the breeze is enough with a ceiling fan to be pretty comfortable.  I've also got a couple of fans on the stair landings trying to get some cooler air upstairs.  You hit a humidity wall about halfway up-ugh!  Makes being upstairs pretty uncomfortable during the day.  Why install an AC in the lowest living area of the house?  It also has no insulation in the ceiling, which explains why it was so cold in July and so hot now.  Betting we move when the lease is up!
     Ant wars continue on the home front.  Apparently the ones on vacation were just a warm up!  Despite having sprayed all the windows, doors, around the plumbing, these buggers are still getting in!  Something in our closets are mighty interesting to them-I sprayed the door tracks yesterday and this morning their little carcases are everywhere.  Ick!  So, ant baits out, hoping for more carnage!  Heard they get really bad in April.  Can. Hardly. Wait.
     We met up this last weekend with the family we met in Bagara over the holidays for a BBQ at the park.  It was fun and we plan to get together again soon!  The kids get on well and we were laughing about the things we miss from the states.  Vicki has been here 10 years now.  She assures me the missing Crisco will pass and is sharing her recipe modifications for chocolate chip cookies.  We'll see how it works!  Clothing is really expensive here-shorts for $30 on sale, but she tells me it is getting better.  I'm looking forward to shopping in Bend and Eugene next June for Alex especially.  She is getting into the ready to grow phase and I bet will be taller than me by next Christmas.  She already can wear my shoes, several of my shirts and tops, and my elastic waist shorts!
     To beat the heat we've decided to do movie week this week.  I sat through Alvin and The Chipmunks  Monday and we'll do Happy Feet later today.  The heat is supposed to break Thursday night so we'll go into town for the Henri Matisse exhibit at the gallery of Modern Art.  Alex is over the moon in anticipation!  They have a still life sketching room where you are encouraged to sit and draw on paper or interactive tablets.  Way cool!  $20 admission for me and free for 12 and under.  Hooray!
     Life moves on-have to schedule the car for it's log book service and school starts in less than 2 weeks!  Hooray for me!  All 3 kids will be in school!  I now have my teacher certificate and now my job application is submitted.  Once that is approved I can put in for my casual (sub) application and get to work.  I can hardly wait!
     Have a super week everyone!  Already counting down to our trip home in June!

No comments:

Post a Comment