Followers

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Year!

     What a week!  The weather is changing again.  Hot and muggy this week, looking to get nice and hot by the next weekend!  This last one was drizzly and kind of low key.  Lyle is traveling pretty much all this month, so weekends are laundry, rest and repack.  We took the kids to the Queensland Museum on Sunday.  What a treat!  I had taken the kids a few months ago, and it has been closed to the public for some refurbishment.  They opened a couple of weeks ago, so we missed the big hullabaloo!  Ian loved the dinosaur playcorner wearing dino tails and costumes.  Annika and Alex headed upstairs to the what I called the stuffed room.  The taxidermists were busy getting this room done-displays of nearly every species found here!  The spider wall was something to see.  Mouse spiders?  They are the size and body shape of, you guessed it, a mouse!  I'd hate to see what a squished one would look like. . . and also the variety of Huntsman spiders.  The big one we found is only medium sized if we go by the display!  Ugh!
     Alex tried out for the school aerobics team, and made it!  She is now doing after school aerobics 1 day a week, training during the school day over their breaks, and swimming 3 days a week.  She exhausts me just thinking about it!
     Ian's birthday is next month.  It is hard to believe he is going to be 5!  I've nearly finished his party invites.  We'll be inviting his class to a park play on the morning of the 18th.  Early parties are the must here as it gets so hot in the afternoons!  He mostly enjoys school and his teachers say he is a sweet tempered boy.  Glad he is at school, because he has been a bear lately here!  I think it is because he is so tired-he goes to bed by 8 and sleeps until between 6-7.  I can tell he is tired though because by bedtime under his eyes is so purple it looks like he has double black eyes.  We're halfway through 1st school term though, so we'll get a couple of weeks off and he can rest up at bit.
     Annika is Annika.  She loves choir and is so excited to wear her new music school polo for the Thursday practices!
     I was also able to get my mother in law on Skype to visit finally!  She had several computer issues to work out prior, but finally got them taken care of!  It was nice to see her, and we are looking forward to getting the kids on with her and Lyle's dad as well.
     Tax season is upon us as well.  I spent most of Tuesday doing the info forms for the accountant.  Ugh!  I also am now starting my Utah teacher certificate renewal.  Wish me luck-they want a current background check, which I had to do already this year.  Here's hoping I can just send them the results and avoid more fees!
     Counting down to June. . .

     But in the meantime, here's an aussie burger recipe to give a go for chicken burgers.  It is yummy!  I learned it when I spent a day cooking them for the canteen last week when they needed some extra help. One of the freezers got turned off and they had to save 20 kilos of chicken thighs.  I'll give you the ground version for ease of preparation!

Chicken Burgers
1 lb ground chicken, turkey, veal, or beef.  Lowfat is preferred.
1 medium grated carrot
1 medium onion grated
1 cup dry cracker crumbs (rice crackers for gluten free, saltines work fine)
2 eggs
ground pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon
1/4 cup your favorite salsa

mix ingredients well.  Form into 6-8 patties and bake in oven at 375 until cooked through (about 20 minutes).  Many BBQ's are outfitted with both wire grills and a flat cook surface.  I do not suggest cooking on the grill unless it is a fully flat surface.  They also panfry well.  Turn only once though as they are pretty fragile.
Serve on buns with lettuce, tomato, cheese, and bbq sauce or ketchup.  If you really want to be authentic aussie, put a slice of beetroot on as well!  I don't. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment