Followers

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Back to School

And here we go again!  Term 3 commenced yesterday and I was glad the kids were able to go back to school!  I weeded the entire front yard and mowed the back.  Took nearly 3 hours, but glad it is done.  Thinking the family will get to do the side and back beds as I'm pretty over the weeding bit now.  Everyone was glad to get to go back and see their friends.  Ian had a couple friends over to play and Annika got to visit as well.  Alex and her tribe did some movie making to submit to a contest for an advance copy of a book in a series they are all nuts for.  I never cease to be amazed at what kids and technology can do!  They filmed on her ipod, transferred to my Mac, and used imovie and garage band to edit and compose the music!  Annika and Ian were actors as they needed scenes from memories of the main characters.  Kept them busy for nearly 2 days!  Should be able to view when we get there if you are interested!

I've been switched to Thursday and Friday for my 2 days this term, and thinking so far at least, this is nice!  Able to get school plans done and stop in if I need anything copied before the day, so I can hit the ground running for my 2 days.  It also means Ian gets to do 2 days a week of Tae Kwon Do on Monday and Wednesday, so he is thrilled!  It does mean I have to go in on Tuesdays after school for staff meetings and planning, but that is fine by me.  I can also do laundry if the weekend gets away from us (excepting school uniforms-those get done no matter what!) and clean up the house.  Well, as much as I clean anyway!

Madly getting things done here-have to put a hold on the mail and organize travel medical insurance.  Not that I am a paid endorser of the policies, but did you know that if you are out of country, and this includes the US, you have to pay for your medical out of pocket?  When was the last time you bought a policy when you went to Mexico, the Caribbean, or Canada?  Really cheap when you look at the cost of medical care!  Most of the policies we looked at here cover medical transport back to Australia for domestic treatment at their discretion.  They consider the injuries, ability to fly back using medical transport, and cost of the country you are in.  Most of the time if you are injured in the USA they will bring you back here as the cost of treatment is insane!  I can testify to this-Annika had a horrible double ear infection last year-it cost us over $300 for the 15 minute urgent care visit and $70 for medication.  I know, soapbox!  Have things piled in the corner of the bedroom and shelves of the closet of things to bring for everyone!  Planning on just a few changes of clothes as we will be shopping while there, so plenty of space to bring stuff back!

The girls and I enjoyed the Bolshoi Ballet last month and this last weekend the whole family went to see the Queensland Ballet performing Giselle.  We hopped the bus into town and enjoyed a glass of wine and the kids had a dessert before taking our seats.  It is a very traditional, romantic ballet and the costumes were gorgeous!  Will admit that by intermission we were pretty tired of graceful albeit athletic moves and poses.  It was a bit repetitive, but also very athletic, especially at the end.  While we all agreed it was a nice performance and we were glad we went, the family preference seems to lean towards more modern theatrical productions!  Ian and Annika did very well, despite their boredom.  For that matter, so did we!

See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment