Followers

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Catching Up

Ok, so I just read the last blog, and it was posted nearly a month ago.  Once you read this one, I think you will understand why it has been a bit!

I did accept the science job, and so far, so good.  The kids had a teacher for the first month, but he resigned as he could not find a place for him and his family to live.  The district lost 7 teachers because of housing shortage, both to buy and to rent, and high prices vs. salary as well.  So, a month of a teacher, 8 weeks of subs (most lasted 2 weeks then bailed) then they get me.  Life is going to be very different from here on out for them, for sure!  Suffice it to say that order has been restored and learning has commenced!  I have my work cut out for me.  Wenatchee science really spoiled me-a team that knows each other and works well together, learning focused, and so dang organized!  I miss the pre-sorted red tubs of gear that held everything we needed for our lessons, demonstrations, and labs.  I have YET to do a lab with either my 6th or my 7th grade classes.  One, because I still don't have that level of confidence that the kids will follow directions, and two, because the room is not conducive to holding labs.  I have 2 working sinks and a room full of the awful desk/chair single student units.  They really only work in rows, which does not do well for group work.  I would have loved to do the lab to teach the kids how to use indicators for sugar and starch this week in 7th, and the 6th class to make pop bottle clouds.  There is only so much you can do watching YouTube demonstrations!  I can also do the demos, but have to have the equipment.  Which we don't.  Bet you I will be having a LONG talk with both my principal, secondary education assistant superintendent, and district science chair.  A LONG talk.  On the plus side, the kids are coming along, and I love my next door teacher.  It is his first year, but he retired military.  He got a chemistry education degree 30 years ago and wanted to do something after his service.  He ran an analysis lab in Afghanistan looking at the composition of IED's to see if they could trace back suppliers.  Delightful person with a wealth of life experience to share with us.  The kids haven't chewed him up and spit him out yet, so he'll be fine!

On the house front, we are closing on Dec 4, get the keys on Dec 8, and the container arrives Dec 10!  It will be unpacked on Dec 11, and we are so ready to move in.  The little bungalow is working, but we all want our things and our space.  I am taking off the week so we can get settled in ASAP.  Lyle is also taking a couple of days to help put it all together, and Dad and Ralph (hopefully!) are coming down on the 10th or 11th with the rest of our stuff that has been stashed in Idaho.  They will get to see us in full move in mode-which Dad and Mom witnessed when we moved from NY to Wenatchee, but that was with just 2 kids!  Looks like we will be getting some bonus things as well-another bedset, bought Meg's futon/couch for the den, my old formals (yikes!), boxes of games and toys from my old stuff.  I'm just hoping sis can find my old yearbooks and elementary pictures!  Watch out Facebook if they show up!  Also, the teachers will appreciate this-the week I am taking off is MAPS testing week-all week, and being done in the SCIENCE classes, so I don't have to make lesson plans!!!!  I'll leave some review work if they need something to do on the last day, but YAY in a BIG WAY!

We have also been in puppy research mode.  I think we have settled on either a Labrador/poodle aka Labradoodle, or a golden retriever/poodle, Goldendoodle.  They have a "non shed" coat, which I appreciate from my allergy standpoint, and it is a dog, which the kids can hardly wait for.  Alex has been dreaming of puppies as she has been taking point on the research front and feeding me names and locations of breeders in the southwest and west Texas.  We really, really, really looked hard at the Soft Coated Wheaten Terriers and Airedale Terrier, but those breeds look to be above average for busy and destructive.  Puppies are busy enough, and I don't want my shoes being eaten for years!  Looking to bring the puppy into the family in the spring or summer!  It's already named too-Bundy, after Bundaburg, Australia.  Sydney was too obvious.

Thanksgiving break has been a godsend.  We have the entire week off, and Lyle will just get Thursday off.  Football and traditional dinner coming our way!  I'm planning a lesson plan day so I can kick back the rest of the week and hit it after break.

Kids are doing really well.  They want their own rooms again, but school is going well.  Ian got a 100 on a spelling test.  The words all had those darn "sneaky e's" in them.  Word examples are like, make, take, etc.  Those long vowel, consonant, silent e words are sneaky!  His reading is really coming along, and he LOVES math.  He really enjoys the math lessons with me as they are hands on with lots of games instead of papers.  I love that he loves them and asks to do them.  For some reason, he doesn't ask to do his reading, but he does like to earn his stickers so he can shop at the dollar store.  Worth every sticker and every penny for the cheap stuff!

Most likely won't be writing until we are nearly all moved in.  I know how time gets sucked away when there is so much going on around here.  So glad to be back stateside-

Love,
Gayle

No comments:

Post a Comment