Followers

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

New home issues, teacher certification

     Anyone who has ever moved into a new home knows that working the kinks out takes a few weeks.  We get all the fun of the kinks with this one!  The dishwasher flooded the kitchen floor the first time we ran it, with no problems since and under the sink in the master bath has a drippy leak, but has been fine since the first couple of days.  Not that we think they have healed themselves or anything, we have towels out and calls into the manager requesting a plumber come and check things out.  The smoke alarm upstairs is also not connected to the main power so the backup battery died and then went off the other night.  So, the builder will be sending his guys over "sometime today" to fix them up.  Sigh.  Ian and I wanted to do another walk through the Reserve, midweek grocery shopping, and go to Parade (assembly) for Annika today.  Guess some will get done tomorrow and Parade will have to wait until next week!
     I have also started the process to get my teaching credentials for Queensland.  This will be fun!  I have to send my fingerprints back to the FBI for yet another background check, have a background check done here, get copies of all my transcripts and diplomas, have them notarized (the notary here is called a justice of the peace, our version of a JP is a magistrate), copy my identification, and finally send in with about $150 and wait 10-12 weeks for them to clear.  Looks like I will be spending lots of quality time with Ian and finding volunteer work at school that I can bring Ian in for!  I looked at preschool for him-costs between $55 and $70 PER DAY.  Australia has a great program where average wage earners qualify for child care assistance, but since we are here on temporary worker visas we don't qualify.  Ouch.  On the plus side, I can enroll him in before and after school care once he starts Prep in January.  For $35 per day for before and after.  Add in Annika, and you get the picture.
     Again, on the bright side, once I have my certification, I can look for a teaching position or sub for a while.  I was told that subs make about $300 per DAY here.  WOW!  Teaching positions are filled differently than at home.  The entire state of Queensland runs a teacher database and you go where they tell you to based on your qualifications, seniority, and what is needed where.  This means that younger teachers tend to be placed in outback schools and have to work their way into cities, or they take the less desirable inner city schools.  Since I can't see myself commuting Outback, subbing may be just fine for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment